Learn fabric painting with a twist of introspective fun!
Have you been afraid to try fabric painting because you don’t think you’re creative enough? This class will give you fun & easy tools to get started. Recall a treasured moment through magazine images and symbols. Combine them in unexpected ways to bring them new life with quick & easy stamp and resist techniques. This will be a quick-study, free-form exploration of your own experience that will wake up your imagination and bring forth one-of-a-kind creative expression in paint-on-fabric. We’ll work small – on 8 x 8” swatches which you can make into prayer flags, or take home and stitch into a unique set of potholders or a quilt project!
- two types of paint for fabric that don’t require a lot of prep work
- three fabrics that take well to painting and where to get them
- three simple application techniques that will help you find that special effect you’re looking for
- paint to practice with in class
- fabric swatches to practice on and take home
- extra fabric swatches large enough to make a pair of pot holders or 4 prayer flags
- magazines, clippings & images for design inspiration
- rubber gloves
- instructions for sewing pot holders
- resource handout summarizing the paints, fabrics and techniques covered in class
- bonus handout on fabric painting for upholstery
Optional things you can bring:
- your favorite images or magazines
- your own rubber gloves
- bring your questions!
About the instructor: Carla Pyle has been shaping fabric in adventurous ways for over 30 years, more recently falling in love with upholstered furniture resurrection. As a textile artist and upholstery epicurean, she brings a unique perspective to help her students tap into their own inspiration, style and creativity!
‘Fabric Painting with a Twist’ was offered as part of the ‘Festival of the Thread’ at the Shane Center in Livingston, MT (Sep 6, 2014)
Couldn’t make this class, but want to stay in the loop for future opportunities? Sign up for Carla’s mailing list.