Build Your Own Boxed Cushion!
Learn how to build your own zippered cushions for dining chairs, sofas, outdoor furniture and more!
This 8-hour workshop is split into two sessions:
1. 2-hour Prep Class: Scheduled 2 weeks prior to the 6-hour sewing session. Bring your own cushion project – either an existing cushion or your desired measurements for building a new cushion from scratch. Learn how to measure and calculate how much fabric & foam to buy for your project. You will take home a customized fabric layout chart for your project to assist you with the homework of purchasing and pre-cutting your fabric in preparation for the second session. (scheduled 2 weeks later). Requirement: Bring a single cushion to re-cover or rebuild OR exact measurements of the new cushion you would like to build from scratch.
1. Purchase fabric, new foam (if needed), machine needles & thread
2. Cut out fabric for one cushion to sew together in the 6-hour session
2. 6-hour Sewing Session: Participants are required to bring your own sewing machine along with your pre-cut fabric and materials, ready to dive in and start sewing! We will walk through the steps of sewing a zipper, boxing and final cushion assembly. Note: welted cushions may take longer than the class allows, but you will learn everything you need to complete your project at home. Requirement: Bring your sewing machine (in good working order) – you must be proficient in sewing on your machine.
What you will learn:
This is a hands-on workshop with upholstery instructor Carla Pyle. You will learn how to build a boxed zippered cushion, including fabric layout & cutting, sewing seams, installing a zipper, and professional tips & tricks of the trade in a fun and supportive atmosphere.
- professional tips & tricks related to each student’s project throughout the workshop
- charts and step-by-step handouts that will provide a valuable reference for sewing your own cushions at home
- 15% student discount on all materials available through our studio, including fabric & foam
- your old cushion or new cushion measurements
- fabric & optional foam – amount to purchase is determined in the Prep Class
Before taking Carla’s class, I was excited to learn how to make cushions for upholstery under skilled guidance while completing my own project. During the workshop, I got an appreciation for how complicated and time-consuming sewing a boxed and corded cushion can be. I finished one cushion in class, and now after completing four cushions for my patio chairs, I think I better understand the process.–Amanda Knuchel, Livingston, MT
Boxed Cushion Workshop Schedule:
If you and two friends would like to schedule a time to take this class together, please Contact Carla. If you’re ready for a fun & inspiring online experience, check out the Bodacious Box Cushions eCourse
Questions? Contact Carla
Sign up for our mailing list to receive my monthly newsletter with tips, insights and upholstery class updates.
See the current Class Calendar